Are you planning on buying a new best finish nailer for your home or some bigger on-site project? There is number of finish nailers available in the market these days. It seems so good that we have so many options to choose from, but an unprofessional eye often gets confused with this number of choices.
So, if you are looking for the one, you are supposed to be aware of several things. First of all, why you need a finish nailer? For domestic purposes people mostly go for brad nailers because finish nailers are applicable to bulkier wood.
But finish nailers are also manufactured keeping the domestic purposes in mind. There are people who like to get done with the slightly bigger work of their own. Sometimes, in case of emergency also people should have it and there are ample of other reasons behind buying it.
Whenever it is required to buy slightly an upgraded tool, it is important to do some research work. This will help you in short-listing the items. Also, you will be more precise to your requirements.
If you are a professional then it will not be a bigger task for you, but if you are a person with complete unawareness of these finish nailers, here is the list of some best finish nailers that will not disappoint you.
1. Best 15 Gauge Finish Nailer: Senco 4G0001N FinishPro
2. Best Budget Finish Nailer: NuMax SFN64
3. Best Battery Powered Finish Nailer: PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX
4. Best 16-Gauge Straight Finish Nailer: Hitachi NT65M2S
5. Best Angled Finish Nailer: Metabo HPT Finish Nailer
6. Best Combo Kit: Freeman P4FRFNCB
Finish Nailer: Consumer’s Guide
What is Finish Nailer
A tool for driving finish nails (finish nails) and super finish nails (super finish nails) into the wood. Also called finish tacker or finishing nailer.
It is mainly used for the interior construction of houses, and can efficiently perform work such as attaching skirting boards, rims, and decorative materials. Since it is often driven into narrow grooves and corners, the tip shape and structure correspond to it. Depending on the model, it can also be pushed into a 4 mm groove.
Since thin nails that are colored according to the target material are used, the pins are less noticeable and can be finished beautifully.
For safety at Finish Nailer, nails are fired by pushing the tip of the tip to the member + pulling the trigger, except for a few models. The pin is not fired just by pulling the trigger or pressing it. Also, most models are for one-shot only.
Some models have functions such as the air duster light.
There are two types
2. Air type.
The air type is further divided into two kinds, high-pressure type and standard pressure type.
Air type finishes nailer. Although it seems to be pushed by the appearance of the rechargeable type, it is still mainstream.
Compared to the rechargeable type, there is a disadvantage that you need to prepare a separate compressor, and you have to pay attention to the handling of the air hose, but there is also a significant advantage that the main body is very lightweight and easy to handle because there is no battery.
In addition, some models are equipped with an air duster by taking advantage of the air type.
A rechargeable finish nailer. It is cordless and has excellent mobility. Until recently, the rechargeable finish was a patent exclusively for Max, but in the last two years, Makita and HiKOKI have been added to the lineup. We can expect that even better models will emerge in future development competition.
High pressure or normal pressure
Air type of finish Nailer is, high-pressure and atmospheric pressure can be divided into two. Of course, the main body is different, but the air compressor required when using the finish nailer also differs, so be sure to check whether it is high pressure or normal pressure.
For high pressure
It is used at 1.2 to 2.3 MPa (12 to 23 kg/cm 2 ). Compared to the standard pressure type, it has a small size, lightweight and high power, so it has a stable driving force.
For normal pressure
It is used at 0.39 to 0.83 MPa (4 to 8.5 kg/cm 2 ). Suitable for long-term use compared to high pressure.
Choose the nail connection method.
“Wire connection” to connect with a wire.
“Plastic sheet connection” that connects with plastic sheets
Select by the length of the nail
Choose according to the type of nail.
How to Choose Best Finish Nailer
There is a large variety of finish nailers available in the market, and in order to find the most convenient that will suit your requirement the customer needs to research a little bit. There are several essential points he must be aware of. Here they are:
1) What Is Your Utility
The very first thing you need to know is what your usage is. Either you are buying a finish nailer just for the sake of having it, or you genuinely need it. Because until unless you are not aware of the use you cannot make a correct choice. For domestic purpose, there is no sense of buying the best finish nailer with heavier motor and vice-versa.
2) Functions of The Finish Nailers
You must check all the features and specifications in detail because functions of a finish nailer clear you whether it will be specifically for your use or not. Also, you must understand what the features are explaining.
There are technical terms uses in the description, despite getting impressed with the bigger or heavier words it is better to understand their meaning what they are about.
3) Size of The Finish Nailers
Finish nailers are available in different sizes. Make sure you buy the best finish nailer which is at least thrice bigger than the thickness of the surface which is to be nailed for a secure hold. But do not go for four times or five times lengthier nails thinking of a better hold, in fact, it will ruin your surface.
Best Finish Nailer 2021: Top 5 Picks
As everybody knows, there are a number of finish nailers available in the market. For choosing the best finish nailer for your project, you need to have a look at several some well-known finish nailers that are really appreciable.
It is undoubtedly one of the best finish nailer we have in the market today.
Saying it will not be wrong, that these days it has become the first choice of the contractors.
Versatile and quality built: From your framing to the finishing needs, it covers everything.
To provide this tool he professional standards, the Freeman Pneumatic Nailers have been manufactured under strict guidelines. That means it is a hardcore professional tool that worth to be a part of every contractors tool kit.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Brad Nailer 2021
- 24° Full Head Framing nailer, and uses 20-22° Round Head Plastic gathered framing nails ranges from 2” – 3 ½ “ in length
- 15 Gauge 34 degree Angle Finish Nailer, that uses 34° Angle Finish Nails that ranges from 1 ¼ “ – 2 ½ “in length
- 18 Gauge 1 inch – ¼ inch brad nailer. This one comes with a fast release nose, and uses 18 gauge brads that range from 5/8 inches – 2 inches in length
- 18 Gauge 1inch – ¼ inch Narrow Crown Stapler. It has fast release nose, and uses 18 gauge ¼ inch narrow crown staples that range from ½ inch to 1-5/8 inch in length
- It comes with a canvas bag.
- 4 different Pieces of Nailer
- Angle: This finish Nailer is 34 degree angle
- Dimensions:23″(L) X 9.4″(W) X 14.8″(H)
- Nail Size: 2” – 3 ½ “ , 1 ¼ “ – 2 ½ “,5/8” – 2“,½” to 1-5/8”
- Power source: Air Powered
- Net Weight: 6.3 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 27.1 pounds
- Warranty: 7 years
- It has a robust build, so you can rely on its durability
- cleaning, lubrication and other maintenance are quite easy to perform
- The operating procedure is simple to understand
- The heating issue may lead to sudden shutdown
- people recorded several cases of misfiring
The Freeman P4FRFNCB combo pack allows you to get the complete nail gun set for just $175. At full price, these tools will set you back about $290. The user reviews on Amazon are excellent, and it is one of the top-rated brands.
This one is again one of the most reliable and best finish nailer we have in the market today.
Satisfactory Durability: Its body is made up of magnesium which makes it highly durable and keeps it lightweight. It is easy to carry even for the all day.
Effortless Maintenance: It is free from oil maintenance machine. Easy to load magazine, adjustable settings and so many other features have been installed into this tool.
Efficient & comfortable operating experience: It is a very comfortable tool that provides perfect nailing for furniture, trim or molding. It is perfectly suitable for the domestic purpose.
Also Read: Top 10 best flooring nailer
- A perfect domestic purpose machine providing professional touch
- With the adjusting settings, your tasks can easily be achieved
- Durable, reliable, and lightweight tool which has been manufactured keeping the everyday use in mind
- Finish nailer, 4 profile tips, no-mar tips, and one durable carrying case.
- Dimensions:16.5″(L) X 14.6″(W) X 4.3″(H)
- Nail Size: 1” – 2 ½ “length
- Power source: Air Powered
- Net Weight: 9.4 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 9.4 pounds
- Components Included: Bare tool
- Will work great if you are using it for light and medium duty work
- The mechanism is well built so very few chance of misfiring
- Specific nail ammo for this tool are hard to come by
- People faced system jam issue after working for a long time
- The longevity of this tool isn’t that satisfying
The BOSTITCH N62FNK 2 is a multi-purpose finish nailer. Since it is lightweight built, you can work for longer durations on it. It’s still a solid and long-lasting choice.
The nail gun would last for several years if properly maintained. This finish nailer is one of our favourites because it has a high rating on Amazon based on verified orders.
Hitachi is known for its quality providing excellence and it is we can see in this particular finish nailer, which makes it one of the best finish nailer.
Optimized design quality:The most comfortable feature it has is the non-slippery elastomer grip trigger and an easy to operate flip actuation switch.
Versatility: This one is ideal for installing chair rail, molding, cabinetry and other application with fine finish. It also has a button (air duster) to keep the tool sealed from the debris and dust.
Read Full Review: Hitachi NT65M2S Finish Nailer
- It equipped with air compressors that allow the machine to perform properly, steadily and controlled
- Because of being a pneumatic nailer it has an adjustable drive depth allowing you to shoot thousands of nails every day with perfect finish
- Comfortable elastomer grip providing a secure hold
- 3600 protection to the work surface with no-mar tip
- Hitachi 16-gauge finish nailer, safety glasses, tool fitting, hex bar wrench, no-mar tip, and a case; these are the items included with this tool kit.
- Dimensions:11.6″ (L) X 2.8″ (W) X 11.2″ (H)
- Nail Size: 1″ up to 2-1/2″ length
- Power source: Air Powered
- Operating air pressure: 70-120 psi
- Net Weight: 7 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 7 pounds
- Components Included: case
- Its lightweight and the grip is quite comfortable
- The tool has jam cleaning and other useful features which make it easy to clean and maintain
- Lack the safety mechanism to prevent misfireNeed to be
- maintained pretty frequently to avoid rust and other problem
The Hitachi NT65M2S (16-gage) offers the best value. It’s an oil free Straight Finish Nailer. Despite its small scale, it is a high-quality nailer. The rubberized grip is excellent and functions well even when the hands are wet. The exhaust can be adapted to the specific requirements.
The Hitachi NT65M2S is a nice, well-maintained, and refined nailer. Since it has few malfunctions and glitches, this low-cost nailer is ideal for a wide range of applications.
DEWALT is a reliable name and to buy the best finish nailer, which can be a better option than DEWALT’s.
Efficiency and satisfying longevity:This finish nailer is best known for its power, convenience, and consistent performance.
DEWALT DC618K XRP 18-Volt Cordless Power Tool The 1-1/4 Inch 2-1/2 Inch 16 Gauge 20 ° Angled Nailer Kit comes with a 2-year warranty and is a high-quality, long-lasting commodity.
A one hour charger comes with it which makes it ready to use for next hour. It has a quick release of nails with 5 brads in a second. This cordless tool is easy to manage and carry for the all day purpose.
- Powerful and a strong performer
- The tool comes with both convenience and comfort
- The design of engine allows the machine to work as fastest possible with consistency
- Its Sequential Operating Mode System allows precise and accurate placement of the nails, and the Bump Operating Mode System provides a faster production speed to the user
- The jam nose can be accessed easily without using screwdriver or tool wrench
- Pre-installed LED lights for a longer life and durability.
- 20-degree angled nailer; 1-hour charger; 18-volt XRP battery; reversible belt hook; safety glasses; no-mar tip; and operating instructions
- Dimensions:19″ (L) X 14.8″ (W) X 7″ (H)
- Nail Size:1- ¼ “ to 2- ½ “length
- Power source: Air Powered
- Net Weight: 18 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 15.2 pounds
- Components Included: case and bare tool
- It has a well built body and operating mechanism so you can rely on its longevity
- The cleaning and maintenance is simple and effortless
- The operating procedures is little bit hard to understand, even if it seems everything is fine in visual inspection it might not fire any nails
- There is a system glitch and several case of misfire has been recorded
Despite some reservations about its scale, the tool compensates for it with excellent dependability and usefulness. You’ll be having so much fun that you won’t even notice how much weight you’re adding.
The Dewalt DC618K XRP is one of the best buys on the market due to its long-lasting rechargeable battery, huge nailing capacity, and user-friendly features.
Effortless operating experience:This combo kit is overloaded with features.
It is a tool with a tool free drive depth and tool free adjusting exhaust, and comes with the mechanism of jam free nailing in order to release nails at a faster speed.
This allows the user to shoot a larger number of nailsin a single go.
Versatile & promising quality built: It has 150 psi compressor, which is more than an ordinary 135 psi compressor.
Trim installation, molding, cabinet fabrication and installation, door or window casing, furniture fabrication, stairs, crafts, Hardwood Flooring Installation, and Wall Paneling Installation; these are some of the common feature this tool comes with. The kit carries one 6 gal, 150 psi compressor, one FN250SB: 16 ga.
2- ½ inch finish Nailer,(500) finishing nails of inch length, one 25 feet, ¼ inch air hose with a coupler and plug, and one belt hook accessory.
- It uses the standard 16 ga finishing nails that range from 1” – 2 ½ “length
- Its pump is absolutely maintenance free for a convenient operation
- 120 Volt electric units allowing the user to run the compressor on the standard household current.
- Dimensions:20.8″ (L) X 16.8″ (W) X 20.4″ (H)
- Nail Size:1” – 2 ½ “length
- Power source: Air Powered
- Operating air pressure: 6 gal, 150 psi compressor
- Net Weight: 33.5 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 33.5 pounds
- Components Included: stand
- Hose length: 25 inches
- Voltage: 120 volts
- The standard size is great to handle and easily portable
- The overall operating, adjusting are simple and effective
- Sometimes the air compressor work perfectly but nail gun is unable to provide satisfactory output
- The are several system malfunction recorded after working for a long time
The set’s appeal is what makes it stand out, since the initial investment is often a deterrent to using air resources.
Porter Cable has resolved this problem by bundling this set at a price point where nearly everyone will reap from the time savings. This is one of the best investments I can recommend to first-time homeowners or anyone who want to try out air tools without breaking the bank.
Frequently asked question
1. Can I use a finish nailer for hanging doors?
Finish nailer is a versatile and effective nail gun, it’s a great choice for your household projects. You can use finish nailers for your hanging door project.
2. What causes a finish nail gun to not fire?
Check if there is any broken piece of nail stuck on the gun. Also check on the air pressure, it should be on the range of 60 to 130 psi for getting the best outcome. The nail gun may not fire if the system air pressure isn’t sufficient.
3. Should I buy a brad nailer or a finish nailer?
A Finish nailer will be a great choice if you are working with 15 or 16-gauge nails. Finish nailers are usually used while working on baseboard, crown molding and other large trim work. So buy a finish nailer if you are working on projects with great payload. Please read the article Brad Nailer vs Finish Nailer: Which One Is Best For Use?
4. Which is better straight or angled finish nailer?
Straight and angled finish nailer both have different purposes to serve. Angled nailers will be a great choice when you are dealing with tight and hard to reach corners. The straight nailer would work great when you are working on an exposed and flat surface.
5. Why does my nail gun keep jamming?
The nail gun will keep jamming if it’s not properly cleaned and well lubricated. Lubrication plays a great role when you desire smooth firing experience.
6. How often should I oil my finish nailer?
If your finish nail gun is used regularly then you should oil it regularly. Few drops of oil, to be more exact add 6 to 8 drops of oil in the system and you are good to go.
7. What can I use a finish nailer for?
Finish nailer can be used in household DIY projects. It can hold a great payload. A finish nail gun should be your first choice when you are working on baseboard and crown molding.
8. What is the difference between framing nailer and finish nailer?
The major difference between framing nailer and finish nailer is their working capability. You can use a framing nailer on fencing, flooring and other heavy duty work. The finish nailer is mostly used on household DIY projects such as building a baseboard and many more.
These are some of the features and specifications that are required to be looked after before finalizing the finish nailer. Reviews help the best a customer to choose the most appropriate finish nailer.
But self research is still required. Buying a product just because the reviews are positive, does not worth! You need to understand your usage first and then go for a particular finish nailer.
As it is mentioned above, there are number finish nailer available in the market, so how to choose the best out of them. The best way is to identify your requirement.
In addition, taking an expert suggestion always helps. So, in the process of buying the best finish nailer, these were some important points that you must consider.